Christ Memorial Lutheran Church traces its history back to the early part of 1957 when six families living in Chester County began discussing the need for a Missouri Synod Lutheran Church in this area. On May 5, 1957, Sunday School was held for the first time in the Monday Afternoon Club in Malvern, PA. The following Sunday, May 12th, worship service was conducted for the first time in that building.
At the urging of these families, the Eastern District issued a call for a Missionary-at-large for the Malvern/Paoli area. The Call was extended to Rev. Mark Heilman, Cortland, NY. Pastor Heilman accepted that call and served this congregation as pastor until his retirement in 1987. Pastor Heilman remained in this area after his retirement and was active in our congregation until his passing on January 1, 2014. He will be missed.
The development of the Paoli Mission continued under Pastor Heilman's direction and rapidly outgrew its temporary quarters. By 1960, the congregation, now named Christ Memorial, had purchased land on our present site at the corner of Paoli Pike and Line Road and made plans for a permanent facility. Worship was held for the first time in this new building on Sunday, April 1, 1962. It became obvious almost at once that the new facilities would not be able to handle the needs of the Christian Education programs. Ground was broken in 1967 for an addition, which was dedicated June 16, 1968 and provided a Narthex, seven classrooms and a larger kitchen.